Subject: Re: startup rc.local vs init.d scripts
To: Mark Garrett <mark@nonull.sno.dec.com>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1995 09:40:23
On Thu, 21 Dec 1995 14:57:16 +1100 (EST)  Mark Garrett wrote:

> 	Why doesn't someone implement the different init make it a
> kernel build option to select the init style wanted. SysV
> init/startup is nice /etc/rc.local works, so lets let them both live
> and people will choose what they like.

I have alpha code to do this already.  (Previously offered on
current-users.)

The code:
	- continues to use /etc/ttys for ease of experimentation
	- adds runlevels (the only kernel tweak: a new sysctl
	  variable)
	- supports SysV style directory startup files via an external
	  utility called from /etc/inittab, e.g.

		  rc2.d:2:entry:/sbin/initrc /etc/rc2.d start

As alpha code it is missing a couple of features and I may have
guessed incorrectly about the semantics of a SysV feature or two
(working off manual pages here -- I have no SysV box currently) but
the basics are there and working.

Interestingly despite the voluminous email on the mailing lists nobody
has asked to look at the code.

Regards,

Giles

P.S. To anyone who lost their lunch over the idea of supporting
     /etc/inittab *and* /etc/ttys I appologise.

     I wouldn't recommend this long term, although BSDI did set an
     unfortunate precedent with /etc/crontab *and* per-user crontab
     files. :-)