Subject: Re: shutdown/wall messages
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 22:45:52
Juergen Marenda writes:
> Thus spoke Matthias Scheler:
>> I suppose SunOS does this via NIS (it's hard to get a Sun working without
>> NIS) which you probably don't use.
>
> SunOS (4.x) shutdown
> uses /etc/xtab to get a list of hosts who have remote mounts.

No, it makes an RPC call (clnt_create()) to the portmapper to get the mountd
program, and then it makes another call (clnt_call()) to mountd to get the
list of hosts (MOUNTPROC_DUMP) and it then builds a linked list of the hosts
to notify from that.

> It uses rwall to send the warning message.

Well, actually, it makes an RPC call (pmap_rmtcall()) to the remote host's
rpc.rwalld daemon; e.g.:

return ((int) pmap_rmtcall(&server_addr, (u_long)WALLPROG, (u_long)WALLVERS,
        (u_long)WALLPROC_WALL, [...] ));

(I'd be happy to add this functionality to NetBSD's shutdown, but I've been ...
 uh ... "tainted".  Yeah, that's the ticket.  "Tainted".)

	- Greg