Subject: Re: Initial installation of NetBSD
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: This is my bacque pas, this is my faux pas) <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com (>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 10:08:21
#define AUTHOR "explorer@flame.org (Michael Graff)"

/*
 * If the miniroot is in swap:
 *
 * 	Teach NetBSD to use the swap drive as a file system, and not
 * 	to swap, of course ;)
 *
 * 	This miniroot would then newfs the partitions, configure the
 * 	net, prompt for floppies, etc.
 *
 * Thoughts?

The problem with having the miniroot installed in swap is the same
problem from which StunOS suffers now:  You can't then change the
size of the root partition.  (I'm applying this to the i386 port as
there currently is no choice under the SPARC port.)

It shouldn't be too hard to tell NetBSD not to swap, or to swap on any
space left in swap AFTER the miniroot if it must swap.  However,
considering that you're probably not doing too much in main memory,
even /netbsd+sh+ftp+gzip+tar is probably not going to exceed the minimum
recommended 4M of core.  Given that the VM subsystem under NetBSD seems
not to swap/page until absolutely necessary (I have a 32MB system with
64MB of swap (OK, it's a SPARC, but still) which is using virtually
none of its swap space, even during a "make world"), not swapping
should be a not problem :-).

 *
 * --Michael
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "explorer@flame.org (Michael Graff)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
thought:  I ain't so damb dumn! | Your brand new kernel just dump core on you
war: Invalid argument           | And fsck can't find inode 2