Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 12:08:18
On Tuesday, December 19, Niklas Hallqvist wrote:
> Luke> How do other people like this concept? I'm willing to go through
> Luke> and fix up /etc/rc* et. al if this sounds usable by enough
> Luke> people.
>
> I agree it's a lot better than what we have today.  And it *is*
> orthogonal to whatever startup system we use, rc or init.d.  I believe
> OSF/1 uses exactly this with /sbin/init.d as the startup method.
> It localizes the configurable parameter in a clean way.  Go for it!

Ok, I am late responding to this, but I have to...

ARE YOU *NUTS*!?!?!  The *ONE* thing I hate in OSF/1 is that config
information is in /sbin/init.d/.  A directory in a place only binaries
were meant to be.

I beg you, *PLEASE* don' start this.

Just my $0.05 CDN.

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner | Email: weingart@BrandonU.Ca | Need a Unix sys-admin?  |
| Box 27, Beulah, MB |-----------------------------| Send E-Mail for resume, |
| R0M 0B0, Canada    | Unix Guru? Admin, Sys-Prgmr | and other details...    |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |