Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 09:57:38
On Tue, 19 Dec 1995, Allen Briggs wrote:

> Proposal:
> 	Modify /etc/rc to execute scripts/programs in /etc/init.d/* in
> 		sorted order--but don't use this for anything within
> 		the core NetBSD system.

I'd support this wholeheartedly.

> 	Cons:
> 		- It does not allow programs to run inbetwixt other
> 		  parts of the system startup  (How many products
> 		  really need this?)

That's my thought exactly.  If you are hacking Kerberos into NetBSD, you
are not a clueless admin.  You can edit /etc/rc with your eyes closed.

> 		- It makes no provision for handling the running of
> 		  shutdown scripts of any kind

Perhaps an extension to shutdown(8) is in order, to complement the
changes in /etc/rc.  It doesn't seem to be difficult to do, and should
impact the current setup minimally.

--scott