Subject: Re: shutdown/wall messages
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 07:19:17
> > [ rwalling NFS clients on server shutdown ]
>
> You can use rwall for this application, though our shutdown doesn't do
> it automatically. However, you *can* write a script to perform the
> task very easily -- the machines mounting your system are easy to find
> out...

uh, except, where would the script be invoked, in the current scheme?

do you have it wrap shutdown?  if so, how do you get periodic
warnings to clients (did sun implement that?  i forget), or (if not)
how do you get the right-before-shutdown warning?

do you have it wrap wall?  what happens if somebody wants to use wall
in the normal fashion?

etc.

I don't see you can get the client warning functionality, without
modifying the shutdown sources...  (I also know exactly why you
_wouldn't want_ it, but if some people want it, it's not for me to
tell them that they're running their machines improperly, and i don't
think it should be impossible to do w/o modifying sources...)

chris