Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 01:48:05
>Just a random thought - how about as well as supporting start|stop args each
>script must support a help arg. Hence if you want to know what /etc/init.d/foo
>does you type '/etc/init.d/foo help'. We could also have a script which loops
>through each file in turn grepping its help for keywords to give an apropos
>style facility.

I like /etc/scripts, and I think each file should be able to do the
following.  This is getting out of hand though, so I just started
writing it.   If I've wasted my time, that's all I've wasted so far.
;)

/etc/scripts/name has a private /etc/config/name/ directory for config
files, if it chooses to use it.  I hope most do though, so the
majority of the configuration info is on ONE PLACE and can be backed
up easily.

Each script must accept all of these options, but need not do anything
about them:

	start	Start up the package
	stop	Shut the package down
	restart	Kinda like a kill -1 for those packages which that
		would work on, and a stop & start for those which
		don't
	help or
	info	Explain what the package is about.
	enable	Honor the start command
	disable	Do not honor the start command
	status	are we enabled, disabled, running, not running...
	config	Run a configuration tool, or explain how to config
		the package

Also, tags in the script may be used for dependancies and if it is
enabled or not.

It sounds like a lot, but in general most could be simple.  *shrug*
I will also work on a method to get this stuff started in the proper
order as well, once I get something which will start things in a hard
coded order done.  :)

Even if nothing comes from it, I'll have startup scripts which are
interesting.  As I've mentioned before, I don't think this is a
replacement for rc.local, but they are mutually exclusive.  I think
/etc/rc could run /etc/rc.local if it exists, otherwise run this
system.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Rayshade the world!