Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 04:28:12
> > For personal systems it's convieniant to have /etc/init.d and pkg*,
> > for large sites it's a [necessity].  That's why large sites tend to
> > SVR4 these days and why most commercial UNIX providers have gone that
> > route either by aquisition, SCO/HP/Novell, or by choice, Sun.
>
> Once again, even if - arguendo - we grant this, is it a reason why
> NetBSD should?

Well, do we want NetBSD to be adopted by 'large sites'?  Do we want it
to be adopted by 'end users'?

There are really, really big advantages in having larger numbers of
people run NetBSD.  The only way to do that is to make it:
	(1) easy to use and administer, and
	(2) rock solid.

To get users, (1) is more important than (2), actually, but anybody
doing real work knows that you really do need (2).

Frankly, it would be very, very damned stupid for the NetBSD Project
to say "we don't want a lot of people running our software; we'd like
it to remain a toy operating system that only a few hackers use."

I could see it happening, though.  (and i can tell you, the day that it
does is the day that i stop hacking on NetBSD.  I've got better things
to do than pour my time into a dead-end system.)

chris