Subject: startup rc.local vs init.d scripts
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Garrett <mark@nonull.sno.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 14:57:16
The issue for me in regard of using /etc/rc3.d has nothing what so ever to do
with application start-up. I can just as easily set things up with vi or other
to add a call to my application start script in /etc/rc.local. The real usage I
make/like about the init called rcx.d scripts is for application shutdown.
It allow for both start-up and shutdown to be coded in a common place and
accessed by a common mechanism.

I'm mostly a BSD fan and usually detest most sysV things (the foreign devil) ,
but inittab and rc scripts are a feature of sysV that I would adopt if
available.

	Why doesn't someone implement the different init make it a kernel build
option to select the init style wanted. SysV init/startup is nice /etc/rc.local
works, so lets let them both live and people will choose what they like.

	Cheers
		Mark :)

options	SYSV_INIT
options BSD_INIT

--
Mark Garrett email: mark@nonull.enet.dec.com    Phone: +61 2 561 5255
 Open Systems Consultant                          Disclaimer: I don't speak for