Subject: /etc/rc alternatives (was: Updating /etc...)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernd Felsche <bernie@metapro.metapro.DIALix.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 10:27:52
I've been listening avidly to this particular thread and seeing that
since this is the season of giving, I'd like to put in my 2 cents'
worth. [I'm well known for my generosity :-)]

Rebooting a system, and setting run levels is something that is both
difficult, and subject to religious interpretation.

There are some common factors though, and understanding what they are,
will hopefully provide a clean and acceptable solution. Some common
factors:
	1. Resource dependency
	2. Package maintenance
	3. Hacker maintenance

Dependencies are probably handled using some form of "make" and
"dependmake", with each package defining its requirements for at
least; startup and shutdown.

If this is too simple to work, then I'll be the first to admit
that I don't fully understand all the ins and outs.

There is a certain attraction to hackers in being able to "make"
a run level! ;-)

BTW: There is no need for "make" to run at boot time or run-level
change, as make can be run when a package is added or deleted, to
generate <drum roll>: /etc/rc.local

Comments?

Compliments of the season to all.

--
Bernd Felsche {speaking for himself}
MetaPro Systems Pty Ltd, 130 Fauntleroy Avenue,