Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1995 14:48:25
>Well, I hate to say it, but my init.d is bigger than your init.d.
>:')   Can you tell me what the difference between netside and network
>is?   How about sysetup?   usr?   announce?   What does autoconfig do?

Fine.  Can you tell me, without looking, what $T is set to, and why?
Or whether httpd is started in netstart, rc, or rc.local?

Before you lkk, of course it's incoherent...

>Actually, I now know the answers to these questions, but I had to read
>the damned scripts to figure it out.  All of them.  And, BTW, one of
>the most important of those scripts is 24k.  The total startup script
>on toccata.fugue.com (my NetBSD server) is about 9k.

Does it provide the same features, and have as much error checking?
I noticed a "mount /var" in /etc/rc.  This seems bad - why should
/var be a file system?  Or maybe that's just my site - I can't
tell whether it's distribution or my local site.

[Many lines snipped...]

>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys         1253 Mar  2  1995 cron*
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys           50 Jul 20 17:58 dbshutdown*
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys           51 Jul 20 17:56 dbstart*
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys         2295 Mar  2  1995 filesystems*

All of these look like they do what they say they do, and identify it clearly.
I like that.

>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys         2044 Aug 17 22:17 hylafax*

Look!  Standardized install.  Want to remove hylafax?  Remove one script.  No
chance of getting an extra line by mistake; no question about which package
a line or test came from.

>-rwxr--r--    1 root     sys          445 Nov 21  1994 isdn.no_ethernet*

I like tihs a lot better than commented out bits of shell scripts,
just because it takes no time to figure out what kind of thing it does.

>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys          290 May 31  1995 pppstartup*

Once again - better this than a local hack.

>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys         2427 Mar  2  1995 rmtmpfiles*

That's larger than I would have expected for the task, but it's nice
to see it broken out so you can turn it off if you want.

In summary, the directory you show is exactly what I'd like it to look like.
Broken down by functionality, easy to start and stop.
(This is probably one reason a lot of those are large; in the SVR4 I learned
init.d on, at least, each script can start *or stop* a task, where
meaningful.)

Granted, the ordering of tasks (S22nfs?  Why 22?) is probably poor.  But
the basic idea of breaking tasks into modules which are maintained separately
is a good one.

-s