Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Michael Graff <kovert@umiacs.UMD.EDU>
From: Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1995 09:01:15
#CONFIGNAME=whatever-we-want-to-call-the-generic-configuration-directory

With regards to init.d and rc.d or whatever, ordering aside, I think
that an /etc/$CONFIGNAME is probably a good idea.  Among the things which
were listed to be under /etc/$CONFIGNAME/$PKGNAME were:

        config, setup, setup.tk,

There should be two more:  MANIFEST or filetree or some such, and shutdown.

If one needs to remove the "package" [could we PLEASE find a less SVR4ish
name for this?], all the information is in /etc/$CONFIGNAME/$PKGNAME/filetree.

Or, better yet, when one "pkg_add"s [...PLEASE?] something, it generates
a script called "pkg_rm" (or whatever) which can be run in and of itself
and performs the appropriate deletions after running the package's
"shutdown" script (which presumably does The Right Thing).

Ordering of such runtime startup would be best done in /etc/rc.local.
If I'm not mistaken, that's what it's there for.  rc.local gets run
*after* the machine has attained a sane state of multi-user mode, and
unless someone creates a {*ulp*} package for NetBSD which needs to
run during the system initialization (I can't imagine what that would
be at this point), rc never needs to get touched.

				--*greywolf;
--
System V Release 4 /MIS tem FIVE re LEES FORE/ n. 1.  An operating system so
hideously huge, bloated and driven by marketing rather than performance or