Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Michael Graff <kovert@umiacs.UMD.EDU>
From: Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1995 09:14:49
#define AUTHOR "explorer@flame.org ("Michael Graff")"

/*
 * How about the following then.
 *
 * /etc/config/pkg/*  <-- config files for package foo, if needed by that
 * 		       package.
 *
 * /etc/scripts/pkg   <-- package startup script
 *
 * /etc/scripts.conf  <-- what to run and when to run it
 *
 * I don't like the latter, but here are some thoughts on what it might
 * contain:
 *
 * fsck:
 * ffs: fsck
 * network:
 * nfsclient: network
 * nfsserver: network ffs
 *
 * This way you get a unique tag pkg: and a dependancies list.  A simple
 * C program could generate what is needed.  This file and the format
 * isn't what I think is best, just a possibility.  In fact, it kinda
 * sucks, doesn't it?  :)

Not entirely.  In fact, you could potentially turn it into a sort of
Makefile which lists dependencies and targets, i.e.

all:	fsck network

fsck:
	@ fsck -p;

network:	nfsclient nfsserver nisclient amd

...etc...

Of course, that's a bit more difficult preserving the

	starting rpc daemons: portmap nfsiod.

output, but again, that's purely cosmetic.

 *
 * --Michael
 *
 * --
 * Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
 * PGP key on a key-server near you!         Rayshade the world!
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "explorer@flame.org ("Michael Graff")" */

				--*greywolf;
--
"Windows/NT - From the people who brought you EDLIN".