Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Jeffrey Wheat <jeff@tad.cetlink.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1995 08:07:42

> >/etc/rc.local, even if it means hacking on init.  And if NetBSD makes
> >it sufficiently difficult for me to continue to use /etc/rc and
> >/etc/rc.local, I'm going to go looking for another OS.  I maintain SGI
> >machines at work; I've tangled with SysV-style system startup and
> >shutdown; this opinion was not formed in a vacuum.
>
> Oh, stop with the threats.  This should be a discussion, not a fight.
>
> There is no reason you can't still use /etc/rc.local -- just have that
> called from one of the ``startup'' scripts.  You don't need to loose
> what we have to make things, imho, better.
>
> The /etc/rc.local works for me.  It works for you.  The point here is
> that it is NOT simple to add off the net tools, and it is even less
> easy to remove them.
>
> I would not loose the old method, but surely you can see the advantage
> of having seperate files...  I would rather have commercial apps munge
> their own files, NOT mine.

	My 2 cents worth on this whole thing is that I like the BSD way
of doing things. I have used tons of different OS's, battled with employers
over BSD/SVSV and things to that nature. I use BSD because I like the way
that things work. If I wanted the sysv way to do things, I would use linux
or solaris or even worse, sco. I think that we should keep things that way
they work now. If we change to more of a SYSV style of things, then the
SYSV camps will start to think that their OS's are the best and we realized
that so thats why we changed. I guess it boils down to this: SYSV or BSD.
The choice is ours.

-jeff