Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: David Leonard <leonard@dstc.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1995 08:40:21
> Greg Hudson said:
> > Michael Graff said:
> > > What do people think about an /etc/init.d/ file, either with or
> > > without run levels?  I think run levels are mostly useless, but
> > > others will certainly disagree.  I would consider writing an
> > > /etc/init.d startup method if there was interest.  I really think
> > > the /etc/rc.local method is just plain archaic, and each package
> > > SHOULD have its own startup/shutdown script.
> /sbin/init.d/*		the scripts
> /etc/rc.d/*		symlinks to the scripts, with appropriate
> 			names so they'll get run right.
>
> ``but, but, but, symlinks to the scripts aren't configuration
> items!  They don't belong in /etc!''
>
> Wrong.  The order in which you run the init scripts, and whether or
> not you run them at all, is _definitely_ configuration information.
> configuration information doesn't have to be in a config file, you
> know...
> to configure.  Consider the case of a diskless workstation, vs. the
> case of a normal ("diskful"?) workstation.  on a diskless box, you may
> want to do things (e.g. mounting or checking of file systems) in a
> different way, or in a different order, or not at all.

hmmm

The only thing i dont like about your suggestion is to use symlinks to
kludge the order at which the rc scripts get run.
imho its way too messy having a directory like:

   S010cron
   S020nfs
   S030foo

because it gets messier when you start re-arranging things.
(it reminds me of moving lines around in BASIC (ps: i deny using basic!))

so, how about a simple file containing the order that the scripts have to
be run... i know that it means that when you add a new one in (or delete
a init.d script) that you'll have to edit this file too, but it would be handy
to be able to comment it... eg:

  #
  # rc.conf
  #

  # Start cron first because i like it like that
  cron

  # need nfs because BarFoo(tm) breaks without it
  nfs

  # BarFoo(tm) must be started after cron otherwise /dev disappears
  foo

it would also be easy to write code to sanity check this rc.conf file against
the contents of /sbin/init.d/*

David Leonard                            Project Officer, DSTC
The University of Queensland             leonard@dstc.edu.au
http://www.dstc.edu.au/WP/staff/david-leonard.html