Subject: Re: C Language Standard(s)
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 19:25:02
> I think it would be a good thing, because it would make it possible for us
> to use -pedantic -W -Wall on the headers.  :)

This doesn't seem like a very important goal...

> It would just be nice if we could write code just using the
> standard types, IMHO.

...nor does this...

> Admittedly, a lot of work, with some performance work to do.  But
> possibly worth looking at.

...when this is what's required to achieve it.

The NCR driver has a timing race.  We don't yet have shared libraries
on the MIPS.  Our installer is, shall we say, challenging to use.
Most ports are still running on gcc 2.4.5.  There are all *kinds* of
substantive things to do both in the kernel and in userland that
everybody can agree are worth doing.  Why are we arguing about whether
or not to do something this esoteric?  Why on earth would we introduce
the kind of instability and unportability that would result from the
changes you propose?  I'm sorry, but the last thing the NetBSD project
needs to be spending resources on is makework.

			       _MelloN_