Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 14:17:53
> If NetBSD is going to be widely used and "successful" from a "number
> of users" point of view, it's going to _need_ to do something like
> this, eventually.

Is being "widely used" and ""successful" from a "number of users" point
of view" really what we want?

Yes?  Then why don't we just throw it out and do MS-DOS?

That's a somewhat flip remark, but it's got a serious core.  The
comment I quoted sounds as though its author believes that more users
is good, and that anything is acceptable as long as it serves that end.
Now, I don't think Chris is really _that_ dogmatic about it, but I do
detect a disturbing tone of being popularity-driven here that I'm not
really convinced I like.  A wider user base is good, other things being
equal - *other things being equal*.  In my opinion, a SysV-style init
is too heavy a price to pay for whatever increased popularity it may
bring.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu