Subject: Re: C Language Standard(s)
To: None <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 10:38:41
> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 09:24:36 +0100 (MET)
> From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>

> Is there any "official" decision about the use of ISO/ANSI standard C
> in NetBSD?

Yes, as shown in /usr/share/misc/style

[ Suggests we just use standard C... ]
> This could be applied to the kernel as well as to the user mode
> applications, and as we use gcc, we already have the compiler tools
> to do this.

The reason for keeping K&R compatibility (using the __P() macro) is
to make it possible to bootstrap a new port using a K&R compiler.
(Before the system is capable of running native tools.)

For example, the Sun3 port was bootstrapped from SunOS using the
K&R (non-ANSI) compiler provided with that system.

Gordon Ross