Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 02:23:31
> What do people think about an /etc/init.d/ file, either with or
> without run levels?  I think run levels are mostly useless, but
> others will certainly disagree.  I would consider writing an
> /etc/init.d startup method if there was interest.  I really think
> the /etc/rc.local method is just plain archaic, and each package
> SHOULD have its own startup/shutdown script.

Actually, I'd argue for a more radical step in the opposite direction.
I think /etc should only contain configuration files, and that means
few or no shell scripts.  A lot of what shows up in /etc is not
intended to be modified for specific machines (witness /etc/rc.local
vs. /etc/rc), needs to be updated for new operating system revisions,
etc..

It evades me why people in the System V world decided that each
package should have its own startup/shutdown script in /etc.  Why does
all that hair belong in /etc, instead of in the executables for the
packages themselves?