Subject: Re: Thoughts on getting rid of obj links
To: None <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@altair.helios.mn.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/1995 20:36:29
> >Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 20:09:27 -0800
> >From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
>
> >To build kernels, /usr/src/sys/arch/compile/ needs to have a read-write
> >filesystem mounted on it.
>
> We could replace each /usr/src/sys/arch/*/compile directory with a
> symlink to /usr/obj/sys/arch/*/compile, instead.  Each
> /usr/src/sys/arch/*/Makefile would need an obj: target to create the
> link.

	In a word: YUK! Symlinks are evil, evil, evil, evil, evil. union
	mounts give the same functionality and you don't have to chase
	symlinks all over god's creation if you need to move things.

	What I usually have done is:

	1: Sup to a directory, say server:/usr/src
	2: Read only mount server:/usr/src on client:/usr/src
	3: On client: mount -t union -o -b /usr/src /usr/obj
	   Where /usr/obj is a local client disk with enough space to hold the
	   objects.

	Reads are over NFS, main sup source can't be corrupted since
	it's mounted R/O from the server and local writes are used so
	builds are faster. I've made NetBSD/{Amiga,SPARC,x86} this way and
	it works wonderfully.

	Symlinks would just mess things up for no particularly good reason.

			Symlinks: Just say NO!

		-Rob