Subject: Re: Thoughts on getting rid of obj links
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/1995 09:30:20
>From David Mazieres:
>> Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 12:32:57 -0500
>> From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
>> Sender: owner-current-users@netbsd.org
>>
>> Comments?  Do people like this?  Do people go "ewww?"  Can people
>> think of simpler ideas?  The lack of a good system for doing NetBSD
>> builds out of a read-only source tree has caused some problems here.
>
>Cleaning up the obj part of the build process might be a good idea.
>
>If you are looking for a quick solution, though, maybe you should use
>a union mount.  I've been using union mounts to build NetBSD for
>several months, and it seems to work pretty well.  The only problem
>has been the use of the /dev/vnd* in making boot floppies (/dev/vnd
>does not work on union mounts, but you can fix this with symbolic
>links).

What if your source tree is NFS mounted, like mine is?

I have a drive space problem (sound familiar? ;) and NFS mounting
onto my Amiga is my only choice (except for taking down the other
machine and swiping it's drive, which would take out the most stable
machine in the apartment, bad idea). I can't use the Union FS, and
kernel compiles over NFS really suck.

XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore CSC/CPE     kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu
XCOMM North Carolina State University      kevinneal@bix.com