Subject: Re: Thoughts on getting rid of obj links
To: Greg Hudson <mit.edu!ghudson@werple.net.au>
From: John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/1995 10:09:36
Greg Hudson wrote..

> I'd like to propose a new scheme for doing builds out of a read-only
> source tree, and make an argument for why I think it's as convenient
[lots deleted]

> Comments?  Do people like this?  Do people go "ewww?"  Can people
> think of simpler ideas?  The lack of a good system for doing NetBSD
> builds out of a read-only source tree has caused some problems here.

My Christmas list includes a 'read-only source tree'. 8-). I've had
problems building two architectures against the same source. So much so,
I sup to one tree, then copy the tree to the different machines, and then
do a build. What a pain!

I can't comment on the way of achieving this 'cause I only ever use
make and makefiles the way they come with NetBSD.

It certainly _is_ worth doing IMHO.

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street