Subject: Re: Motif and multiple platforms
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/1995 14:14:22
etheisen@teclink.NET (Erik M. Theisen) wrote:

>>Just a thought, but I think the only solution to the problem of Motif
>>on the different hardware platforms is to have a Motif source licence
>>as a resource of the NetBSD project.

>That's an excelent idea.  Best Motif thought I've heard of, so far.

>>And to have a person or a group that compiles and delivers binaries on
>>request to people who will pay for individual binary licence. To get
>>the idea working, the maintainers could not take more than a nominal
>>fee for the compilation. I think the money for the source licence will
>>be a bigger problem than finding volunteers for compilation.

>Hey, I'll maintain it.  Let's charge an honest amount for binary distributions.
>The money could be donated back into the NetBSD project. Don't forget OSF's
>royalties though.

What I meant was that only the royalties plus very little extra has to
be paid to get Motif binaries. I don't see a chance to make money from
it, neither for the NetBSD project nor the maintainers.

>The fee for source license is not as much as one would think.  Especially if we
>could get 100 people to contrib a small amount.

[...]

>P.S. Who's going to play cashier.  $$$ :-)

Last I heard the source licence is about $15.000. That is certainly
not impossible to reach. Is this information still valid? If it got
harder to get a source licence at all, what are the exact
requirements?

As for Lesstiff, I'm don't know the exact status of it, but I'm tiered
of waiting for it and working on something like a Motif clone is not
very attractive for most free software's hackers. And I think most
needs for Motif are in commercial environments where having the
"original" Motif is a plus per se.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>  -  Fax +49 40 522 85 36