Subject: Re: Changes to gcc
To: None <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/1995 00:15:39
>>>>> "Guenther" == Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de> writes:

Guenther> Hi, I just saw that some changes have benn done to the
Guenther> recently incorporated version of gcc:

Guenther> Can someone please make sure that these changes (an all
Guenther> future ones) are incorporated into to the gcc from FSF, if
Guenther> they will be needed in future versions. This will help
Guenther> porting future versions of gcc to NetBSD.

I don't know if it's of interest to the NetBSD project, but I've
decided I've fed up with that way to import such SW.  Mainly because I
have to have two GCC distributions on-line all the time and maintain
them both.  Partly because updating GCC is a hassle, even if that
point isn't quite as valid as before.  IMO we should strive to find a
way to build all imported tools in an environment as close as possible
to the original so we don't lose important stuff like
cross-compilation support.  One of my goals is that any NetBSD arch
should be able to build any other arch's complete tree in a single
make invocation, building cross-tools as needed.  I wonder if we get
there someday.

Anyway I'm experimenting with GCC at the moment and a src/import tree.
So far I find this a viable solution.  OK munging is still needed, but
much less than before, and I haven't given up on BSD's obj-dir
creation policies.  If someone is interested in looking at this when
I'm ready, mail me...

Niklas

Niklas Hallqvist       Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00  Home: +46-(0)31-41 93 95
Applitron Datasystem   Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50  Home: +46-(0)31-41 93 96
Molndalsvagen 95       Email: niklas@appli.se     GSM:  +46-(0)70-714 10 35
S-412 63  GOTEBORG     WWW:   Here
Sweden		       IRC:   niklas (#NetBSD)    ICB:  niklas (netbsd)