Subject: Re: Motif and multiple platforms
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1995 23:01:36
Just a thought, but I think the only solution to the problem of Motif
on the different hardware platforms is to have a Motif source licence
as a resource of the NetBSD project.

And to have a person or a group that compiles and delivers binaries on
request to people who will pay for individual binary licence. To get
the idea working, the maintainers could not take more than a nominal
fee for the compilation. I think the money for the source licence will
be a bigger problem than finding volunteers for compilation.

A central problem is to choose a site with multiple NetBSD platforms.
I bet the Motif source licence doesn't allow the maintainer to send a
tape to the holder of an exotic machine, compile there and delete the
source afterwards. Even if it did, I wouldn't trust random NetBSD
users not to snarf the source.

Crosscompilation may work, but testing will raise the effort for the
maintainers.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>  -  Fax +49 40 522 85 36