Subject: Re: Motif and OpenGL for NetBSD-1.1
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: tom (t.) malaher <tmalaher@bnr.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1995 11:11:00
Here's the response I got when expressing my interest in Motif for
NetBSD to the people at XInside.

Sigh.
Tom
Thanks for the email - I've seen less than a dozen emails here.  No
one wanted large quantities (that we could identify).  Unfortunately,
even the responses that we did get are from a very mixed hardware
group.  It is still not economic to sell a couple of copies of Motif
for $149.95 to NetBSD/SPARC users, and a couple more to NetBSD/HP and
so on... Each deliverable requires installing the OS, compiling the
product and correcting the inevitable failures, running the Validation
Test Suite and manual testing, packaging, Release notes, printed docs,
etc... It just isn't worth it for a dozen copies.  This is definitely
a case where we *do* make it up in volume!

We'll keep accumulating a list of interested people, and if we see a
significant interest level, we'll do something.  Our sales of the
Accelerated-X Server also act as a good guide to us, for assessing the
likely level of interest in further products.  Increasing sales of
Accelerated-X will indicate a growth in size of the NetBSD market and
the interest level in acquiring enhancement products, such as Motif
and OpenGL.  So, buy the Server ;-)

Cheers, JeremyC.
--
Jeremy Chatfield  +1(303)298-7478  FAX:+1(303)298-1406  email:jdc@xinside.com
        Commercial X Products - for more information please try: