Subject: Re: 'core@netbsd.org': there are apparently new members...
To: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@balvenie.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/14/1995 16:32:57
> > I was sort of wondering if 'core' thinks it appropriate to announce
> > the addition to the public in a timely manner (and what it considers
> > "timely")...
>
> This bugs me a great deal.
>
> I think your definition of a "timely manner" is wildly out of sync
> with reality.  I seem to remember it was more than three days after
> Paul and I joined core when that announcement was made.  In corporate
> environments, press releases announcing management changes are often
> made several weeks after those changes.

[ as I said in mail to 'core' about 2 minutes ago: ]

The point is, 'core' has historically not given very high priority to
informing users of what's going on with the project.

I don't see that changing, and i think it should.

Writing up an announcment that two new people were added to 'core'
takes 5 minutes, 10 if you want to include a list of reasons why they
were added...  It's not unreasonable to expect an announcement like
that to go out Real Soon after people are added, especially since the
membership of 'core' effectively sets the direction and goals of the
project.

[ looking at the announcement that paul sent out, that I just
  received, it certainly took no longer than that to draft... ]

chris