Subject: Re: offer: custom CDROMs of netbsd
To: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1995 08:54:07
>>>>> "Guenther" == Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de> writes:

Guenther> Hi, since someone brought it up:

>> I'd like to offer to write people CDROM's of netbsd1.1.  Keep

Guenther> I want to do the same. But before doing so, i'd like to ask
Guenther> core, if they have any objections to this? If not, then I'd
Guenther> be happy to offer the same service :-)

	On this issue, I would think that the core *shouldn't* object.
Besides the issue of the BSD copyright, this kind of thing is going on
all the time (with various commercial vendors).  Anyways, the just of
my offer is that Walnut creek might not be interested in pressing a CD
with sparc binaries on it.

Guenther> As I bought the CD-writer just for this purpose I want to
Guenther> get at least a little bit back of what I invested. Therefore
Guenther> the price of my CD will be around DM 45, but I want to
Guenther> donate some money from each CD I sell to the NetBSD-Project,
Guenther> once most of my expenses have been covered.

	I, for one, won't do a price war.  I am not trying to make
scads of money.  I'm not even trying to recover the cost of the writer
(it's not mine).  I figure that offering a media warrenty on the CD's
would make it prudent to charge what I do.

	Then again, while I provide news and mail for a number of
people, I'm not about to jump into the ISP business, either.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |