Subject: Re: offer: custom CDROMs of netbsd
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1995 19:16:11
>>>>> "Brad" == Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com> writes:

Brad> I think this would be very nice of you, and I for one would
Brad> probably get one, though with a mac, having binaries would make
Brad> it truly useful since there is be no miniroot.

	If someone tells me how to write one, then I'd be happy to.

Brad> It would be a nice feature if the CD had some source for
Brad> applications and utilities known to compile under NetBSD if
Brad> there is room after the source tree and binaries for the various
Brad> platforms.

	Actually, we have a mac here, and while we can't put NetBSD on
it to run, we can attach the CD writer to it (we have DOS and MAC
software).  If someone on the mac wants to tell me how to make it
bootable, then I'd be happy to.

	To clarify, by nature, this machine makes custom CDs.  There
are two uses for these.  For small ports (<100 CDs to press), it is
more echonomical to press each one by itself.  This is the fundamental
offer that I'm making... to custom press a single CD... in quantities
of one.  When I make CDs this way, I would include a binary snapshot
on the CD with the source.

	If a NetBSD platform is large enough to warrent a pressing
(>100 or so CDs), then I can orchestrate that.  The price would then
depend on volume, but would likely fall from $30 to $20 or even $15
Canadian.

Brad> A very generous offer Dave, Thanks.

	You're all quite welcome.  I'm planning to press one for
myself this week.  Around the company, we're pressing CDs for
everything now.  We put our data on them instead of tapes (we're a
satellite image processing software company).  We put our betas on
them.  I even press them full of important files I want to archive.

	I just thought that I'd share the wealth.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |