Subject: Re: nfs client hangs 1.1_ALPHA server (5 days short of release)
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zappa.unna.ping.de>
From: Douglas Thomas Crosher <dtc@scrooge.ee.swin.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1995 01:22:16
> In message <199512012224.XAA19521@zappa.unna.ping.de>I wrote:
> ./mhdoc
> grinding...
> nfs server zappa:/usr/src: not responding
>
> I forgot to mention, the directory in quation is mounted on tcp-transport (-T
> optinon to mount_nfs).
> And I just found out, this is essentially the cause of the problem, since it
> does not appear when mounting via udp.

I have had seen similar behaviour between two NetBSD 1.1A i386
machines.  Using the -T flag I found the client would hang after a few
hours depending on the use.  Restarting the server cleared the problem
till the next hang.

At the time the client had a 3c503 8 bits card with the small input
buffer and I suspected that the buffer overflow errors may have been
tickling something. (the -T option helped improve performance)

Another interesting symptom was that during a large compile of nfs
mounted source, gcc failed because a file have nulls part way
through it.

In any case I find that nfs using UDP works reliably.

Regards
Douglas Crosher