Subject: Re: Can't build GCC-2.7.2 under 2.4.5!!!
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/1995 18:59:49
On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Niklas Hallqvist wrote:

> Jake> Has anyone successfully built GCC-2.7.x on the m68k platform
> Jake> yet?
>
> Yes, many times... last time Friday... no problems at all...
> Are the failures consistent, do the 0377 characters show up at the
> exact same spots for every compile?  It sounds like a flakey SIMM to
> me...
>
> Niklas

If it wasn't for the fact that the 0377 characters show up at the EXACT
same spot (and are confined to a single line) of the output file, I would
dismiss it as flaky memory.  I have good reason to believe that flaky
SIMMs could be a culprit considering I'm running with four different
speeds of noncontiguous RAM (512k 32-bit SRAM, 4MB 32-bit DRAM, 4MB
16-bit SIMMs, and 1MB 16-bit "chip RAM"!!) but haven't seen any spontaneous
coredumps or other indiciations of flaky RAM yet.

But the problem is completely reproducible, on my system.  After I fixed
the three problems I mentioned before, then it continued normally (except
for an intermittent problem with one of the C++ files, which resolved
itself when I reran make).  Then, when I built the stage2 compiler, the
stage2 cc1 refused to work, it would either coredump or hang in an
infinite loop, definitely abnormal!

I've built GCC a number of times before on many different systems, its
not as if I don't know what I'm doing, but NetBSD sometimes seems to
elude my best efforts (admittedly the situation was worse when I tried to
do a source-upgrade from 1.0 to current, that was horrible!)...  I think
I will download 2.7.2 directly (instead of patching 2.7.0) to eliminate
one possibility of error, and then build the stage1 compiler with
whatever level of optimization doesn't cause those problems with gcc
2.4.5, then work from there.  If I can't get it to work, at least I can
wait until the 2.7.2 release is integrated into NetBSD-current and sup it...

Thanks again for everyone who responded!

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL