Subject: Re: Laptop recommendations? PCMCIA support?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 12/01/1995 11:11:52
>3) What do people recommend in the way of PCMCIA ethernet cards?
>   PCMCIA modems and other things?

In particular, I'd advise against anything that isn't on the union of
the Linux and NetBSD PCMCIA lists, since we can learn from the former
how to handle the latter.  (Peter Hinds' (@stanford) Linux code
supports many ethernet cards, all modems, several scsi controllers,
but no ata/hard disks or flash cards yet.)

Most PCMCIA Ethernet cards that claim "novell support" are ne2000
compatible, and should be easy to support, it's often just a matter of
id'ing them properly. (Many of them have support for larger banks of
shared memory than their ISA equivalents, so there's room for
performance improvement, but they'll *work* as raw ne2000 devices.)

			_Mark_ <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
			The Herd of Kittens
ps. I run linux on my laptop *because* of the PCMCIA support (and a
few other things, mostly hardware related) which I've hacked on some
myself (I had one of the early DataBook controllers, which weren't as
wide spread as the Intel version.)