Subject: Re: Laptop recommendations? PCMCIA support?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/01/1995 06:16:38
In article <199511302226.RAA06556@jekyll.piermont.com> perry@piermont.com writes:
>1) Does anyone have any recommendations about laptops to use with
>   NetBSD?

I like the toshiba pentiums. I also like the ibm butterfly thinkpads, only
they are not as fast. Just make sure that what you get is light. My arms
are getting really long lately with an old IBM755C.

>2) What PCMCIA peripherals does the still-unofficial PCMCIA support
>   deal with?

Most modems, if_ep [3c589], if_ed like cards. There was a port of a scsi
adaptor, but it does not compile under current. I'd stay away from Xircom
cards, because they will not provide a programmers guide for them.

>3) What do people recommend in the way of PCMCIA ethernet cards?
>   PCMCIA modems and other things?

I really like the 3c589; I wish that the combo 3com card worked too, but
it does not right now [this is a 28.8 modem and ethernet on a single card].
Unfortunately it is not easy to get this card working right now, because
the PCMCIA framework currently assumes one device per slot.. For a modem
I have a MegaHertz 28.8 and it works fine.

christos