Subject: re:Laptop recommendations? PCMCIA support?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Harry W. Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/1995 21:35:56
>I'm about to acquire a laptop.
>
>1) Does anyone have any recommendations about laptops to use with
>   NetBSD?

I have an Epson 660C. 486DX2-66, 8mb ram. It runs pretty well. It does have
kind-o-nice passive screen, and X works well even though the Chips 65540
video chip set isn't supported in accelerated mode by XF86-3.1.1.

>2) What PCMCIA peripherals does the still-unofficial PCMCIA support
>   deal with?

MOstly ethernet cards, some modems. I have heard that there are problems
with some of the combo modem/ethernet cards. I don't know if SCSI cards are
supported yet.

>3) What do people recommend in the way of PCMCIA ethernet cards?
>   PCMCIA modems and other things?

Something listed in the notes that come with Steffan's PCMCIA stuff as tested
and "working". :-) I extended it a bit to recognize my cheapo card, and it
works great except that the ethernet address is all zeros. :-(

Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing
waddell@caravan.com