Subject: Re: persistent/restorable unix procs?
To: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
From: Dave Cherkus <cherkus@unimaster.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/29/1995 08:26:51
Mark W. Eichin writes:

|> There was a university project (I forget the name, but I think it
|> began with a P, and it was done sometime around 1987-89) which
|> modified libc to save away file descriptor state; you could then dump
|> the image and have enough to restore later. (At least I think that was
|> enough.) At the time, it meant relinking the program -- but these
|> days, anything that matters has shared libraries, which simplifies the
|> effort. Perhaps someone else will recall the name of the project I'm
|> thinking of.
|> 			_Mark_ <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
|> 			The Herd of Kittens

Although it doesn't start with P, are you thinking of Condor?
It did these things, then it sent itself a signal that caused
it to core dump.  Since the core dump is in a.out format, all
you did to restart the program was rerun the core file!  Neat
hack!  I was at USENIX when a paper was presented on Condor,
so perhaps a search of www.usenix.org would get more info.

--
Dave Cherkus ----- UniMaster, Inc. ----- Contract Software Development
Specialties: UNIX TCP/IP X OSF/1 AlphaAXP AIX RS/6000 Performance ISDN