Subject: Re: Mail and quotas
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@kludge.psc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1995 13:35:46
On Wed, 22 Nov 1995 09:20:05 PST, Ted Lemon says
>So what behaviour would you prefer - that users' mail gets dropped on
>the floor if their mailbox overflows?  That a bounce is generated to
>the sender?  This is not a great idea.  If I were you, I'd hack their
>mail user agents to always put read mail in a local mbox file rather
>than trying to put quotas on /var/mail.   What are they using to read
>mail, anyway?

The way it is now, if someone gets enough mail to fill up /var/mail
then *everyone's* mail begins to bounce.  These servers are at high
and middle schools, so many users are not responsible adults who will
regulate their own actions.  If (when) a student posts "Make Money
Fast" the "friendly" responses will destroy mail for all users.
Putting the mboxs in /home will not change this.

It sounds like I cannot get the behavior I want without hacking
mail.local.  Do people think it would be better to:

1) Take the size of the mbox and the size of the new message.  Add and
compare to the quota.  If larger, return with an "out of quota"
message".  or...

2) setid to the user.  Append the message.  If a write fails, return
with the appropriate code.

Are there any other approaches I am missing?

	-Kevin