Subject: Re: apcmon (was Re: UPS hookup)
To: None <greywolf@captech.com>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@punk.hedgehog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/1995 20:56:52
> It seems to me that what would be more useful in this situation than a
> breakout box would be a continuity tester.  Doesn't take much to figure
> out which wires go where.

> Don't forget to run the continuity tester on different pins on the SAME
> side of the cable as well, as some of them may be looped.

Has anyone done this yet?

I always thought that it was a standard serial cable since (as far as I
know) that's what we used when connecting a Novell (yeah, ick) fileserver
to it.  Mebbe I'm wrong, but then again, mebbe the console of the smartUPS
is like the console of a Sun boxen (detects a connect and sends an
interrupt).

I'm interested in this debate because I'm planning on purchasing a UPS
sometime soon.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@pobox.com      Life: Rob@Sunnyvale.California.USA.Earth
"Da Web": http://pobox.com/~windsor/

"Ain't much distance 'tween a pat on the back and a kick in the pants."
    -- David Lee Roth (1990), `The Dogtown Shuffle'