Subject: Re: Drive Numbering...
To: None <sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1995 10:36:02
>Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 00:46:15 -0500
>From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us>

>Perhaps the thing to do is to have a tool which generates a config
>file based on the devices discovered by the currently running
>system...  Ideally this would nail down all the currently-configured
>disks, and then leave an `sd* at scsibus?' to allow room for future
>expansion (at which time, you add another disk or three and re-run the
>tool to nail down the new disks..)
>
>An alternative would be to include a "hi, I think I belong at
>/dev/sd4N" tag in the disk label but I suspect that would be rather
>messy to code reliably..

How about looking at it from the other direction?  Run a tool from
rc||rc.local||* (before 'mount -a', of course) that reads the
superblock from every FFS partition on the system, examines the last
mount point for each of them, and regenerates /etc/fstab
appropriately.

I can hear you all now: "Ick!" :-)
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));