Subject: Re: fine-tunable swap (was Re: Drive numbering...)
To: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
From: Open Carefully -- Contents Under Pressure <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1995 17:56:44
#define AUTHOR "eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us ("Mark W. Eichin")"

/*
 *
 * > Combine the two thoughts, and you have a fine-tunable paging system.
 * > It would certainly be nice to have the ability to establish how much
 * > swap you *really* need (and how little you can get away with), instead
 *
 * On the linux lists, this usually leads to the leap of having a daemon
 * that monitors available free virtual memory and adds and removes swap
 * on demand... I think it even got implemented (as an independent
 * daemon) in spite of all the ranting about why it was such a bad idea :-)

Okay, I wasn't thinking that radical -- I was thinking more along the lines
of simply observing the behaviours of a system and tuning it that way.

 * ... (Really, what
 * you want is what Apollo Domain/OS had -- as a side effect of other
 * parts of the Multics-inspired design, free disk could be consumed for
 * swapping just as easily as for files, and returned dynamically as well...)

Um, yeah, that would be *really* cool!

I suspect that it would be next to impossible to implement given current
design constraints.  But then, so is an efficient VM.

 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us ("Mark W. Eichin")" */

				--*greywolf;