Subject: Re: Drive Numbering...
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1995 14:27:43
> 	But I think that this is a bad way to look at the world.
> Honestly, I'm not ready to tell the novice to install NetBSD yet
> ... not unless I have a few hours to help.  I like to config my own
> kernel, but if we're EVER thinking of making this an easy OS to
> install, we're going to have to address the everyday use of a kernel
> that someone just installed from a binary snapshot.

Is an everyday user going to use a 'ccd'?  is an everyday user going
to put swap on N different partitions?

My point is: in what way does the generic kernel _fail_ for an
"everday user"?  if their disks change numbers, for instance, what
goes "fatally wrong"?

perhaps it'd make sense to mandate kernel source installs, and
automatically build a custom kernel for people...

cgd