Subject: Re: Off topic... help wanted anyway (scsi formatting)
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1995 21:06:10
>> If you have a PC with DOS and an adaptec card, adaptec put a format
>> utility on their ftp site which you could use.

>It is ok, but I really want to rattle the drives. The adaptec (and
>buslogics) ROM stuff just does a straight linear format and linear
>verify. I want something that will do random seek/read/write tests
>for 24 hours plus and report on what went on. Without killing the
>scsi bus in the process.

If you have a BusLogic, call their Tech Support.  They have some
undocumented entry points in the ROM that can do various exercises.
I'm not sure if this one is included or not.  I remember having one of
their techs have me call an undocumented ROM entrypoint and it had the
card do non-stop busmaster DMA tests overnight, once, when I was
having some problems.

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...