Subject: Re: serial related crash
To: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1995 23:19:32
On Nov 14,  9:52pm, Randy Terbush wrote:

> > I'm running a Netbsd 1_1_Alpha Kernel on an i386 @ 20Mhz.  The serial port
> > is a Hayes ESP card, which works flawlessly.
> >
> > The other day I wanted to make ppp redial, so I just flipped power to the
> > external modem off.  The machine responded by locking solid.  No errors,
> > no pings, no disk activity, no network activity; required punching the reset
> > button.  This is the sort of thing I used to see when I was using SLIP and
> > a set of nasty scripts to bring up and maintain the slip line.
> >
> > If you have an external modem, how about flicking it off while its doing
> > ppp or slip (or even terminal use) and posting your results?
> >
> > -john
>

> I lose my entire X session if I perform this trick....
>
> Running PPP on a P133 1.1_Alpha Hayes ESP card running at 115200.

I'm still on 1.0A on my i486, talking PPP at 38400 to a 16550 on a
multi function card, and I've had the modem drop out quite a few times,
and I just restart pppd and continue on as if nothing happened at all -
no lost rlogins/telnets/X sessions.

Not quite your config (no ESP card) or symtoms (power off vs. dropout),
but just my experiences...

Simon.