Subject: Re: du not working in /etc/remote
To: VaX#n8 <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/1995 02:28:10
> Whenever an /etc/remote entry has "du" in it, it doesn't dial out;
> in fact, it doesn't even take the modem off-hook.

i'm running a relatively up-to-date version of 'tip', with 'du'
entries, and that's what dialed me in to answer this mail...

HOWEVER:

check the flags on the serial line.  in particular, the tty i dial out
on has 'local' set in /etc/ttys.  tip doesn't do the right (or,
perhaps just 'sane' 8-) thing, dialing out.  unless it sees carrier,
it can't typically talk to the modem (i guess because the open
blocks).

chris