Subject: Re: UPS hookup
To: mark thompson <mark.a.thompson@pobox.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/1995 00:13:38
> I want to hook up my shiny new UPS to my NetBSD machine. The nice guys
> at APC pointed me to the Linux UPS-HOWTO page. But before I spend even
> a moment working on porting evil Linux stuff, is there any such thing
> already for BSD?

If the UPS in question is an APC Smart-UPS, then yes I have a couple
of shell scripts that I use to monitor my UPS and shut my network of
machines down.  Works a treat and should work on just about any
flavour of UNIX.

I know I don't have all of the protocol between the UPS and host
worked out but enough to be able to tell when it is online, on
battery, how much battery is left and how to turn the UPS off - as the
system shuts down due to power failure.

I've been using it for several months, and while we haven't had an
extended outage here since we got the UPS, the same script covers a
NetBSD box and Sun at one of my client sites and I often come in to
find the UPS powered off and the systems neatly shutdown and all the
story in the syslogs.

--sjg