Subject: Re: ps hangs?
To: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/1995 10:20:33
On Wed, 8 Nov 1995 15:09:18 +0100
 Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

 > I always wonder what we have a procfs for, if it's not used by ps and we still
 > have to recompile libutil & ps when something changes.

Chris has mentioned this before, I think, that procfs is an example of
something cool you can do with a filesystem.

However, I agree - in the default case (i.e. not looking at alternate
core/namelist), the procfs ought to be used, providing it's available.
If procfs isn't in the kernel, you don't want ps(1) to lose.