Subject: Re: what makes lost+found in NetBSD?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: After 5 PM please slip brain through slot in door. <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1995 12:43:56
#define AUTHOR "fair@clock.org ("Erik E. Fair"  (Time Keeper))"

/*
 * Provided that your Fast Filesystem has stayed 10% free (even when "full"),
 * fsck should be able to find enough blocks to create a lost+found. This also
 * means that you could create a trivial script to walk the local mount points
 * and check for the existence of lost+found and report that to "root" for
 * further investigation. Hmmm.

You are assuming that:

	- minfree is 10%
	- I meant "full, less minfree".

In fact, I meant "full".  As in "uid 0: write failed:  No space left on
device" full.  As in "You have tromped all over minfree.  Go directly to
disk space hell.  Do not asm("jmpa $_start"); do not collect even 200
bytes of disk space" full.

As in "You forgot to make /usr big enough" full.  As in "You have forgotten
to delete the last five kernels from the root filesystem" full.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.  There is no way in hell
that fsck is going to be able to create lost+found in that case, but, again,
disk space isn't at *that* much of a premium any more, so there's no real
reason to reserve 8K of space for inode relocation.

Besides, don't we do automagic directory collapsing?  I thought that was
part of 4.3 which carried over to 4.4 and 4.4.1, 4.4.2, etc...

 *
 * Erik Fair
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "fair@clock.org ("Erik E. Fair"  (Time Keeper))" */

				--*greywolf;
--
Sun hardware is great stuff.  It's too bad their software has taken
such a downturn.