Subject: Re: NCR driver (Was Re: Adaptec 2940 PCI support? )
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1995 10:09:37
> The only problem I've noticed with the NCR driver is pretty minor... when
> it prints the list of devices on the SCSI bus during the kernel boot, it
> claims that my CD-ROM drive is empty, even when it's not:

> ncr0 targ 2 lun 0: <TOSHIBA, CD-ROM XM-5301TA, 1895> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
> cd0 at scsibus0cd0(ncr0:2:0): asynchronous.
> : drive empty

> The NCR driver that came with NetBSD-1.0 was able to detect whether or not
> a disc was in the drive... I remember reading about this problem on this
> mailing list, so I guess I should check the netbsd-current archives :)

Yes, I've noticed this too (on an ASUS SP3G with NCR 53c810 chipset,
talking to a Sony CDU-76S). I had a minor attempt at fiddling with the
timeout values in /sys/scsi/something.c but it didn't change.

Apparantly people with AHA1542 type SCSI controllers don't have any
problems, so maybe some timeout stuff in the NCR driver needs tweaking?