Subject: Re: Dynalinks in 1.1
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik M. Theisen <etheisen@teclink.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1995 21:40:17
Fresco and CDE (CORBA/OpenDoc) make EXTENSIVE use of dlopen()'s ability to
use the hints 'bucket' and/or LD_LIBRARY_PATH to resolve path name and
version extensions of various dynalinks.  NetBSD's runtime linker is
broken in this reguard.  I have tried a small samaple program on
several commercial UNIXs as well as various free U*IX like OSs and NetBSD
is the ONLY one that does not display the desired behavior.  Additionally
Fresco makes use of dlerror() which is currently UNIMPLEMENTED.   While
dlerror() is certainly not critical, it is an important part of any
application that wishes to load it's own DLLs.

Perl and TCL/TK are bad examples to use as they function by explitly
specifing the path to a dynalink.  This is a BAD practice as movement of
the dynalinks to a differnt directory will cause application failures.  In
the case of Perl, movement of the DLLs will cause it to fail without
displaying any error messages.  Addtionally, changes to paths and/or
revision extensions will force code changes and recompilation.

Addtionally, I believe dynalinks don't grok dlctl().

I sent some email to 'pk' about this issue a month or two ago, but
don't know if anything ever came of it.

PS.  Dynalink is an IBMism for DLLS.  Maybe Ken's analogy to Hanna-Barbara
is more correct.  Perhaps NetBSD DLLs should be called DynoMutts ;-)

erik