Subject: Re: Dynalinks in 1.1
To: Erik M. Theisen <etheisen@teclink.net>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1995 04:02:36
>Is any work being done on the runtime linker.  Currently,
>it DOES NOT properly support on-the-fly loading of dynalinks when requested
>by libraries or apps.  More and more apps are moving to on-the-fly loading
>for support of new features such as CORBA/ORB.  Key examples include CDE,
>Fresco, and TCL/TK.

Dynalink ... wasn't that one of those Hanna-Barbara saturday morning
cartoons? :-)

But seriously ...

I think this is the first time I've heard the term "dynalink", and I certainly
don't claim to be an expert on the subject, buuuutttt ....

I do know that dlopen/dlclose/dlsym and friends are supported under NetBSD.
I even remember hearing someone say that they got it working with Perl 5.
I don't know about CDE and Fresco, but from the stuff I looked at with the
latest alpha of Tcl/Tk, all you needed was dlopen() & friends to get dynamic
linking working.

Mind you, I haven't actually _tried_ it, but I really really thought that
it all worked.

--Ken

PS - I was thinking of "DynoMutt".  Silly me.