Subject: Re: swap leakage?
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/1995 11:29:20
According to Frank van der Linden:

> It certainly is real. It's an old problem in the VM code. If I remember
> correctly, it has to do with VM objects not being cleaned up when having
> a pager associated with them, and it occurs in situations where a
> child process exits while pages in the parent have been paged out.

Hm, now that you say this, I think I've heard of this before.

Being the clueless person I am, is it impossible to fix this before freezing
1.1?  NetBSD seems to be pretty stable as it is (haven't tried the very
recent versions that people are complaining about), but swap leakage may force
everybody to reboot every now and then.  I would love to see this problem go
away.

Is it just a problem of not having the time to fix this .. or is this a bug
that requires a complete rewrite of the VM system?

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---